Apr 15, 2019
Joe Hawley is the founder of the Man Van Dog Blog and creator of
Simpl, which delivers on the go snacks that provide fuel, curb
cravings, and boost energy. Joe is a former NFL lineman that
retired after spending 8 seasons in the NFL, splitting his time
between the Atlanta Falcons and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
Joe is one of the few professional athletes that made the
decision to walk away from the game on his own terms, after the
game he fell in love with started to become a business and slowly
started to take its toll on his body and spirit. But, football was
not only what he did, but also who he was...his entire identity was
wrapped up in the game of football.
He felt the need to rediscover who he was away from the game. He
got rid of most of his possessions, bought a van and hit the road
with his dog Freedom. He traveled 20947 miles, visited 24 states,
visited 12 stadiums around the country and took in the scenery in 6
national parks. He is all about living with less so he can
In this episode we dive into:
- Joe’s career in the NFL and how he used his first 5 years with
the Falcons to cultivate the success he had with the
- How Joe developed the positive mindset needed to persevere
through the ups and downs in his football career.
- How to start changing your internal dialogue to match the
things you want to attract externally.
- Joe's retirement from the game of football, and how that led
him to the decision to buy a van and travel around the U.S.
- How a simply Netflix documentary was the initial inspiration to
start living a minimalist lifestyle.
- Why Joe believes you should fill your life with experience over
- Why Joe does not actually miss the game of football and why he
is grateful he had the opportunity to leave the game on his own
- The message that Joe wants to spread across the country as part
of his travels.
- The importance of leaning outside of our comfort zone and
exploring the opportunities that scare us.
- Why he keeps death at the forefront of his mind and why he
believes in living with no regrets.
- The importance of keeping a routine and meditating everyday and
how he uses these practices to reduce stress and build
- Why we should clean up our timelines on our social medias and
be conscious of our internet space.
- Joe's ketogenic diet and why he has sworn by it for the past
year, physically and mentally.
- The inspiration and motivation behind his new company “Simpl”,
and how it is going to revolutionize the snacking industry.