Nov 18, 2019
Shayna Norwood founded her company, Steel Petal Press in 2011 to share beauty and humor with the world through her collection of handmade stationery. She is a professionally trained visual artist with a BFA from San Francisco Art Institute and has been letterpress printing since 2004.
Steel Petal Press has been featured in Proof to Product, Pop Sugar, BuzzFeed, Brit + Co, Refinery29, Southern Bride, Paper Crave, Oh So Beautiful Paper, Stationery Trends, Style Me Pretty, Brides, Inside Weddings, The Knot, Apartment Therapy, CBS News, Chicago Tribune, Chicago Sun Times and more.
When not thinking up funny greeting card ideas or working with wedding clients you can find her riding her bike around Chicago, enjoying tacos, hanging out at home with her cats and plants, or out dancing to her favorite DJs and bands.
In this episode we dive into:
1. As the owner of Steel Petal Press, Shayna explains why her products are unique in the world of paper art.
2. What a letterpress printer is and how the process works and what drew Shayna into letterpress printing.
3. How Shayna started her business on the side while going to school and working multiple jobs before she was able to jump into things full-time.
4. The biggest lesson she has learned building a business and why she credits her persistence for making it all work.
5. The challenges Shayna ran into while starting up her retail shop that she did not expect to run into and how she continues to navigate the world of running a retail business.
6. The events that transpired for Shayna in 2016 and how it served as a turning point for her business and her life.
7. Shayna's struggle with mental illness and how she had to learn to cope and reevaluate her approach while simultaneously running a business.
8. The importance of being honest about our mental health so we can provide the best environments for ourselves.
9. How implementing a “flex schedule” into Steel Petal Press has helped Shayna's creativity.
10. Where Shayna draws the creativity and inspiration for her greeting cards.
11. How Shayna came up with the idea of Mental Health Trackers to help others that are struggling.